Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mmmm, Mmmm, Goooood!


Hmmm… I don’t know what to write about folks.  I’ve been thinking about it all weekend, and I’m still drawing a blank. Nothing too personal, nothing too negative, nothing too anti-education… I guess I could write about my true love- COOKING! :) 

So before deciding to attend graduate school, I was strongly contemplating going to culinary school.  Not just any ol’ school, but THE French Culinary Institute in NY!  My mom frowned upon this, but I was dead serious.  I ABSOLUTELY loveeeee cooking! (Actually, prior to MTC, cake decorating was one of my main sources of income!)

Lately, cooking has been my stress reliever from all the CHA-OS at my school.  Last semester I cooked a little here and there.  Nothing too fancy, and nothing too new.  All old recipes that were tried and true. Quick, 30-minute “Rachel Ray” meals.  But with the new chaos at school (still holding classes and ish!) came a need for some variety in my cooking regimen.  So I dusted off a few cookbooks, reactivated my account on allrecipes.com, and returned to my true love.  Boy has it been a blast!  I literally sit in class, thinking about what I’m cooking that evening/weekend.  I’ve tried so many new dishes and ALL have been a huge success/hit.  Local MTCers (weekly Wed. night potlucks) are loving it and so is my new beau.  He eagerly tries each and every dish, giving me his stamp of approval.   I enjoyed every minute of it and I’ve been thinking of picking this habit back up, full-time, once I’m done with the program.  I would love to travel to Italy or Argentina and live for 12-16 months-cooking and eating.  On that “Eat, Pray, Love” tip, lmao.

For my birthday (2nd weekend in January) my beau took me to the Viking Cooking School in Greenwood, MS for their “Southern Cookin’ ” class.  CAN YOU SAY HEAVEN?!?!  Classes have approximately 10-12 students and 2-3 professional cooks.  Each group (3-4 students) is responsible for cooking the entire menu, which is provided by the school with recipes.  Our menu included fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, cornbread, banana pudding, and sweet tea.  Not only did we cook all that food, at the end we sat down to eat all the food!  It was so amazing!!!  I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE minute of the class and we’ve been checking our schedules to plan another visit.  If the classes weren’t so pricey, I would definitely be making that drive to Greenwood every weekend I didn’t have class in Oxford for those classes.

Anyway.  The ONLY issue with cooking so often is…eating so often.  The best foods aren’t usually the healthiest…and let’s just say I LOVE GOOD food! LoL.  So to balance my insane new cooking, I’ve been doing some pretty insane workouts. (More on this later).  So far, so good.  We’ll see if I’m saying this in a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment