Monday, June 7, 2010

Objectives, lesson plans, classroom management. Repeat.

Well, well, well.  Here we are.  1 week later.  Boy did time fly!!

Week 1 was exhausting, overwhelming, and exciting…all at once!

c/0 2010- There are some amazing people in my class.  I am so anxious to get to know everyone on a deeper level and experience the amazing adventure of being an educator with them!  Initially a bit nervous, my fears have been calmed because I know I am not in this alone.  There are 49 other educators who have my back if I ever needed a lesson plan or a shoulder to cry on.  For that reason, and many more, I am so thankful and blessed to be a part of the Mississippi Teacher Corps.  I know that this experience with my fellow cohort and my prospective students will change my life forever.

The history lesson with Dr. Mullins was GREAT (and definitely made reading Delta Autumn, Chapter 1 a bit easier) and the lunch (Day 1) was the bomb!

Race and class-  I am so glad race and class was incorporated in the orientation.  It was definitely necessary and I am looking forward to more discussions and presentations around this topic!

Dr. Monroe- Where should I start?  I just love her!!  She’s so fun and funny!  And of course she received extra brownie points because she’s from Tennessee! Whoot whoot!  But really, Dr. Monroe is an awesome professor and such a joy.  She makes the time fly and she’s so patient and relevant.  The classes with her have been great and very useful.  Although, I do wish we could have role-played and/or observed a “veteran” teacher before actually teaching our first lesson.

Counseling- I am sooooo thankful that MTC cares enough for us to offer and actually carve out time to talk about the emotional toil teaching, or any life change, can take on you.  This gesture definitely reaffirmed that the MTC staff truly cares about our well being, and that I’m in the right program!  Kudos MTC!

Wong-  After reading only a fewww chapters of this book, I've realized I'VE HAD SOME CRAPPY TEACHERS IN MY DAY.  It is so unfortunate because it seems that are more ineffective teachers, than effective teachers.  Why doesn't every teacher know about the First Days of School?  I mean, the book is so practical!!  I plan to learn this book backwards and forwards!  I am so anxious and excited about teaching my first summer school lesson and the subsequent first day of fall classes!

Veteran MTCers-  I also hope to build relationships and learn from many of the 2+ year MTCers.  I've been thoroughlyyy impressed with the techniques and procedures of several of the other teachers.  I am hoping to squeeze some time in with our packed schedules to ask for pointers and learn from them.  The best teachers are great thieves! ;)  Well...it isn't stealing...we're all in this thing together!


With the amazing MTC staff, Delta Autumn, and First Days of School I am more confident that we'll be some of the best teachers to hit the Delta and surrounding areas.  I'm sure my TFA friends would and should be sooo jealous right now! ;)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment