Saturday, June 26, 2010

Organized Chaos

The Reluctant Disciplinarian was a pretty funny read.  I could vividly imagine several of the scenes described throughout the book....poor guy, lol.

Personally, I didn't find the book as helpful as Delta Autumn.  Of course, there were several paragraphs and phrases worth highlighting, but I haven't had many problems with discipline...just yet.  I don't consider myself a softy and I have a pretty low tolerance for disrespect...especially from children.

Thinking back to teachers from my past, many of them had very good classroom management.  They made it look so easy!  Dangerously easy...  I plan to contact several of my teachers for advice on classroom management, effective rules, procedures, and consequences.  I'm sure many of them would be happy to hear I would like advice from them, considering I wasn't the most quiet person in the class... lol.

Even though I'm still trying to hone in on my "teacher persona," there is one thing I know for sure...I DO NOT like a quiet classroom.  It drives me insane!!  I am experimenting on an effective method of controlling an organized, chaotic classroom. Haha.

Another thing mentioned in the book: keeping track of consequences.  I am horrible at this right now.  Our second consequence is a writing assignment and I NEVER remember to collect them or to whom I gave them.  Not a good look for me... I'm still working on my list of consequences, but one things for sure, the consequences will have an immediate effect. I'm saying this now....but come August, I could very well be that teacher handing out writing assignments... :)

Other key points taken from the book:

  • Clarity is what's important when phrasing rules.
  • Students appreciate decisive, direct teachers. Keep things simple.
  • It's ok to teach from the textbook!
  • Start off strict, then "morph" into the kind of teacher you've always envisioned yourself to be.
  • Suppress your reflex to react immediately to every little thing. Pick your battles.
  • Find the truth in any advice.
  • Actions are more powerful than threats.
  • Be careful when trying to "relate" to the students.--> This will be a challenge for me. I truly understand some of the students' struggles because I have been in similar situations and/or have witnessed others very to close me in similar situations.  I have to be careful when trying to relate that my sympathy doesn't come off as patronizing.
Overall, once again, I enjoyed the book.  Loved the humor. :)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment