Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"It's over. It's over now, move over. It's my turn now..."

I am so exhausted.  This is will not be the best entry I’ve ever written.  I’ll be sure to post another reflection in the coming days…but because this one has a deadline…

 

So tomorrow wraps up the Official 2010 Summer Training.  Needless to say, the summer FLEW by!  Like, it really did!

 

Throughout the summer I’ve had several highs, lows, frustrations, and triumphs.  I’m sure this feeling will be very similar to what I’ll experience in the classroom this fall.

 

I do feel I am better prepared to walk into Coleman Middle in Greenville and “dominate” 7th grade math.  The teaching this summer was probably, hands down, the most beneficial for me.  I became more confident in my teaching ability, but also in my disciplining.  Before, I would be a little hesitant to “call a student out,” especially a student who was not a student of mine, out of some weird “fear” that the kid might retaliate.  Well…no longer! LoL.  That fear is long gone! I’m so excited and nervous for the year to begin.  I just want to meet the admin, meet the students, and get the party started!

 

Participants

We have a very TALENTED group of individuals this year.  I talk with fellow participants often about the impressive “resumes” of the current group and how intimidating that is/can be.  I hope to learn from several of them throughout our 2 years here, if they’re willing to open up and share.  One thing I can say though, the kiddies are definitely in for a treat in these districts!  I can’t wait to see everyone’s transition from reluctant disciplinarian to Mullins Award candidate!

 

I was a little disappointed about the lack of collaboration within our math department.  Maybe I’m just too friendly and giving, and it is a bit difficult for me to understand when that same eagerness isn’t being reciprocated...

 

2nd Years

I wish the 2nd years didn’t have so many days off.  I feel I didn’t get a chance to interact, hang out, and learn from them as much.  This was especially weird for me considering I contacted about 20 of them before I applied to the program. I was expecting to hear more about their experiences in person.  It will be interesting to see how our few interactions this summer play a role in our interactions this fall, during Saturday classes, and also in our respective schools/towns.

 

All right…I’m pass my 400-word requirement.   So this is the end and I will post a more thoughtful post in a few days.

 

peaceeeee

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment: