Saturday, July 10, 2010

Take 2. ACTION!

2nd Video Blog (lesson #25ish) ...definitely an improvement from the first.  But still room for more improvement. :)


Instruction
  • Overall, a good review lesson.  I did not talk as often as in the last video, and the informal assessment was great. The period was shortened though, so I didn't have the allotted time to do as many activities as I'd planned
Informal Assessment
  • Unlike before, the students had PLENTY of work to do during the informal assessment.  I was very good about getting around to each pair of students and answering questions, although I strongly encouraged the students to ask one another first.  The students also wrote answers on the board, and explained their answers to the class.
Closure
  • Like usual, the closure was rushed.  When in doubt, I'm going to start "closing" early to ensure I squeeze the closure in.  Or, I guess I could alter my lesson plans and try not to cover so much material.  Hopefully, this won't be as big of a problem during the school year, considering I won't be 1. introducing a completely new topic each period, and 2. rotating with fellow teachers each period.
TIme Management
  • Overall, time management was ok.  Definitely better than manyyy other lessons. (The closure was at least given, even though it was a bit rushed.)
Classroom Management
  • = not an issue in our class.  The students were completely silent the entire time I gave directions.  They also worked quietly in pairs. :)  I love my kids!
Body Language
  • I did notice a weird hand-resting position in this video... I did it throughout the video.  It's hard to describe...kinda like a broken wrist look?.....  LOL!  IDK.  Anyway!  Yea...I did that a lot.  I'll be more aware of my hand positions in the future. :) 
Movement Around the Room
  • Great.  Definitely an improvement from the last video.  I should, however, be more aware of when students raise their hands and answer in that order (if possible).  There were several hands that went unnoticed because my head was down helping other students. (At least it appeared I didn't notice their hands...maybe I did...idk.)
General Improvement Areas
  • More individual, personalized verbal praise.  I wore out the "awesome"s and "fantastic"s.
  • More verbal praise for exhibiting good behavior and following directions.
  • Be more aware of when students are raising their hands, and answer accordingly.
  • A litttttle more wait time
Things I Did Well
  • I gave VERY specific instructions
  • Procedures
  • Encouraging students to work together and ask fellow classmates questions before questioning me.
  • Didn't talk as much as in the first video...also my wait time was a lot better- not perfect, but better.
Best Part of Lesson
  • Informal Assessment
  • Pair/Partner Work
  • Having students come to the board to explain answers

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed at how well you are able to analyze yourself! I think its great that you are able to be so critical. I think its a good thing. We need to be able to see where we can improve as well as where our strengths are.

    ReplyDelete